8 Doc Searls’ From the Editor
Off the Press
32 Reuven M. Lerner’s At the Forge
CoffeeScript and jQuery
40 Dave Taylor’s Work the Shell
Calculating Day of the Week, Finally
44 Kyle Rankin’s Hack and /
Remotely Wipe a Server
136 Kyle Rankin and Bill Childers’
Tales from the Server Room
94 GNU Awk 4.0: Teaching an
Old Bird Some New Tricks
What’s new with version 4.
102 WaveMaker: It’s Like...RAD!
WaveMaker—it’s a tsunami of change
for rapid application development.
112 jEdit: a Text Editor and More
An intro to this cross-platform text editor.
Moose is essentially a language extension
for Perl 5 that provides a modern,
elegant, fully featured object system.
Henry Van Styn
IN EVERY ISSUE
50 New Products
54 New Projects
139 Advertisers Index
ON THE COVER
• Make Utility Primer, p. 76
• What's New in GNU Awk 4, p. 94
• WaveMaker for Rapid Application Development, p. 102
• Modern Development with Perl and Moose, p. 124
• Develop GUIs with Qt4 Designer and Eclipse, p. 84
• Multiplatform Development Using GNU Libraries and Tools, p. 60
• Use Gauger for Performance Regression Testing, p. 68
• Getting Started with jEdit, p. 112
LINUX JOURNAL (ISSN 1075-3583) is published monthly by Belltown Media, Inc., 2121 Sage Road, Ste. 310, Houston, TX 77056 USA. Subscription rate is $29.50/year. Subscriptions start with the next issue.